Friday, December 10, 2010

My new place!

I recently moved into a new house, and I discovered a more-fun blog name, so I thought it would be fitting to move to a new site!  I do intend to post to this thing regularly from now on (and maybe generate some more traffic in the process).  I'm pretty stoked to be taking a Human Evolution & Ecology class this upcoming semester; I know what I am doing is working, and I want to have a deeper understanding of the science behind it, so this will be a good start. 

I've also applied for an internship with John Durant of hunter-gatherer.com, and am anxiously waiting to hear back about that.  I saw his interview on The Colbert Report, and he seemed like a cool dude, so I'd be thrilled to get to work with him; he's currently working on a book and is seeking assistance with research and website stuff.  I'm guessing there are quite a few hopefuls, but I'd be remiss not to give it a shot!

Another new development is... I skipped breakfast today!  Yes, I'm giving Intermittent Fasting (IF) a try.  I'm working on dropping some body fat, and this is a great way to kick it up a notch.  I've been seeing a lot of great stuff about Martin Berkhan and his Leangains protocol, and while I don't forsee skipping breakfast on a daily basis at this point, I do intend to make it a point to skip a couple meals a week.  Obviously this flies in the face of Conventional Wisdom, which commands that we eat every few hours to keep the metabolism going and avoid blood sugar crashes, muscle loss, etc.  I used to eat that way, and I did need to, because I was eating crap food.  When you eat crap food, of course your blood sugar is all over the place!  Since shifting to a more paleo-esque diet, I rarely feel the need to snack, and I often feel like I could skip dinner all together.  The idea of occasionally skipping meals feels much more intuitive to me, because I believe our ancestors probably didn't have a steady stream of food available at all times; it was likely more feast and famine.  Eat nutritionally dense foods, and you may be surprised that you no longer feel the need to graze all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment