Thursday, December 1, 2011

Probiotic Pumpkin Spice Smoothie

I guess I seem to be getting on a fermented foods kick; I've been reading a lot about how so many of us are lacking these foods in the diet, and I'm definitely one of them.  Cultured foods were a big part of traditional diets and have unfortunately been replaced with pasteurized, sanitized versions; it makes sense to me that our gut health is suffering for it.

I recently made some lactofermented mayo (which I am thrilled about because I am now free from my Hellman's prison) and tried out some goat milk kefir.  Yeah, it's a little different!  It was like runny yogurt, as I expected; I stirred in a little honey and cinnamon to make it more palatable.  Then I had an idea!  I made a pumpkin smoothie.

8 oz grassfed goat milk kefir (that's what I used, but there are cow and coconut varieties on the market)
3 TBS pumpkin puree
1 TBS honey
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Just stir it all together; you don't even need a blender!  Sorry, no pic as of press time, but you can probably get the idea.  If it looks like a glass of orange stuff, you're on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete