Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Puppy Bowl 0-Alarm Chili (with kitty halftime show)

Yeah I'm not much of a football fan; I prefer Animal Planet for the big game :)  I figured this was just as good a time as any to try my hand at chili, and it went a little something like this:

1 lb ground bison
1 lb stew beef (I get mine from http://www.vermontgrassfedbeef.com/)
1 somewhat large onion, chopped
a handful of garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 big (22oz?) can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1 small (14oz?) can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
1 TBS cumin
*if I had any, I would've added a couple tsp of chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cinnamon
a couple tsp of salt, or to taste
a few TBS clarified butter

Begin by putting some butter in a large pot, and cook the onions, garlic & spices on low-med heat for about 15 minutes, until they get golden brown.  Brown the meats while the onions are cooking- I cut up the stew meat into smaller chunks and browned them briefly over high heat to get some color on them, then add all the meats into the pot.  Then add the tomatoes and herbs, simmer on low for about 2.5 hours, until the stew meat is tender.  I topped mine with some Kerrygold Blarney Castle cheese.  Super easy, and even better the next day!  Sorry, no pic of this one; it looked like chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment