Thursday, October 20, 2011

Some hearthealthywholegrains!

Even pre-paleo, I was never a big oatmeal person, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jack Kronk's recipe on Paleohacks. I do think that properly prepared grains can be a harmless "once in awhile" treat, and a vehicle for real food ingredients.  So, I got some oats from the store and soaked them with water and goat kefir; I didn't have any buckwheat flour but wasn't too worried about it.  Dad was confused as he saw me rinsing the oats last night ("those look like grains"); I assured him not to worry, that I was just experimenting.  I was low on blueberries, so of course, I figured I better just make em with pumpkin instead!  After soaking and rinsing the oats, I mixed together 3 eggs, 1/2 can of pumpkin, 1/4 cup of honey, and a tablespoon of trusty pumpkin pie spice, and stirred this into the oats.  Then I added the half stick of melted butter and stuck the dish in the oven.  Turned out great, and it didn't cause me any stomach upset, woo-hoo!  This oatmeal is even better when you look at Jack's avatar while you're eating it.  Thanks Jack, for the awesome recipe and awesome torso! :D


Added some coconut milk, and sprinkled
with a little cinnamon & coconut sugar, nomz!


So what else is going on?  Well, on Sunday I'm doing my first MovNat workshop at Rock Creek Park in D.C., and I'm really looking forward to it!  I'm so relieved my neck has gotten better (it seemed like it never would) and it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day.  Next weekend I'll be attending a Whole9 Foundations of Nutrition Workshop in Bowie; it was supposed to be this past August, but had to be postponed due to Hurricane Irene.  I got a lot of good tidbits out of the Whole9 virtual workshop I participated in last spring; I'm really stoked about a whole Saturday!  In addition to all that, I'll be moving AGAIN next week, whew!  More busy times ahead, but I'll be sure to write about the fun stuff (i.e. the non-moving stuff) as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment