Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Double Down *Repost*

Another post from the old site.  Stay tuned for the cow version!


Inspired by Free The Animal's take on the infamous Double Down "Sandwich," I've decided to make a version, too.  And it was GOOD!  I did try the original fried version at KFC (in my former life, I was an unrepentant KFC addict; I now treat myself to fast food once a month or so), just for novelty's sake; it was delicious, but could've turned into a dangerous habit, so a homemade version was in order. 
For 2 Servings:
2 boneless, skinless ckicken breasts
4 strips crispy bacon (I like it best baked at 350 for about 20 mins)
2 slices of your favorite real cheese (I used havarti)
Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning

Honey Mustard Sauce (also a delicious salad dressing)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 TBS dijon mustard
2 TBS raw organic honey
2 TBS raw apple cider vinegar
2 tsp mayonnaise (ideally homemade with some good oil, but I used Olive Oil Hellman's)
salt & pepper

For the sauce:
Blend together everything until smooth.  This will make enough for your chicken, plus a few salads.

Time to double down!
-Take your chicken breasts and carefully cut them in half crosswise, season both sides with Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning.
-Lay the chicken pieces down on a heated Foreman Grill (you could make them on the stovetop, but the Foreman is perfect for this task if you have one); cook for a minute on each side (my top plate is a little hot, so I usually flip whatever I'm grilling)
-Top two of the four chicken pieces with bacon, cheese, and some honey mustard
-Lay the other pieces of chicken on top, bring the grill top back down, and cook for about a minute more until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through
-Serve with something other than fake mashed potatoes (I sliced and baked a sweet potato), and enjoy!

Not the most attractive pic, sorry :(  On my
first attempt, I didn't cut the chicken
all the way thru- I just butterflied it,
and that made things difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment